Friday, March 20, 2015

The Day of "Yes"

I don't know about you, but the word, "no" comes out of my mouth a lot.

I have a five and three year old.

That's the only explanation I need to give, right?

I read an article about a mom who decided to say "yes" to her daughter for 24 hours and she shared what she learned from that experience.

As soon as I read the article, I decided we would have a day of "yes."

I was curious.

Curious if they would understand.

Curious what they would ask for throughout the day.

Curious if it would bring stress or joy to our home.

So I looked at the girls and said, "today is the day of YES!"

And they looked at me like they were in trouble.

And then I explained that my response to anything they asked on the "Day of Yes" would be "yes."

Amelia immediately got it. Oh the smiles and laughter.

I could just see her little mind thinking of all the things she would ask.

Her first question, "Mama, can I have a piece of gum?"

The more I said, "yes" to Sydney, the more she caught on to what this day was all about.

And she was happy. Real happy.

Her first question, "Mama, can I have a drink WITHOUT a straw?" (Girlfriend spills her drink all over herself without one)

"Can we play outside??"



"Can I take a bubble bath to wash off the mud??



"Can I make a squished tomato sandwich for lunch??"



"Can I throw this squished tomato sandwich away?? It's nasty."

"Can I have chips for lunch??"



"Can I watch Wizard of Oz (for the millionth time)??

"Can I pick clothes out of the MIDDLE DRAWER (her non-play clothes)??

"Can we vacuum for you??"



"Can we watch this DVD??"

"Can we play with play doh??"



I learned a few things from saying, "yes" all day.

Or rather, I learned why I say, "no" so much of the time.

1. I see the mess that will come from it. 

Something as simple as playing in the mud.

Why not? They're kids. Kids will wash and so will their clothes. A little mud never hurt anyone and giving an extra bath isn't a big deal.

2. I see it as a waste of time. 

This was hard for me to admit, but it's true.

Like vacuuming.

They can barely push the thing and the vacuum is in the air the entire time, not on the floor.

But who cares. They feel as though they're helping me and they're so proud of themselves.

And they want to see that I'm proud of them too.

3. It's just not the way I want to spend MY day. 

But these are their days too. 

I'm going to be honest, I rarely think about it being their day, unless it's their birthday. And that's just wrong.  

4. The more I said, "yes" the more they said, "yes."

True story.

I asked them to pick up their toys-------->they willingly did it without complaint.

I asked for them to share something-------->they happily shared.

I told them it was nap time-------->no meltdown, went to their rooms to nap.

Saying "yes" not only made them happy, it gave them a heart to obey.

Amelia literally laugh out loud, every time I said, "yes."

And then I would start laughing.

There was no fighting today.

It brought peace and joy to our home.

My only rule for the day: no asking to do anything that could hurt yourself or your sister. 

I was actually surprised with the type of things they asked to do. They weren't big things. They weren't things that cost money. Just things that kids like to do and that I've been selfish in saying, "no" to them.

I think as parents, we should start trying to say, "yes" more often. Stop before we say, "no" and ask ourselves why we're saying "no."

These are their days too.

This day also has me thinking about my relationship with my Heavenly Father.

He wants me to always have a "heart of yes" towards Him. And it's through that type of heart that brings obedience and that obedience brings peace and joy.

Amelia asked if March 20th could always be "Yes Day."

I said, "yes."

Love to all,

4 comments:

carolevoss said...

I wish I had known you when Sarah was little. I realize now that I said no a lot. A yes day would have been fun. I wonder what my 20 year old would do/ask for on a yes day?

Paula Keller said...

HEY! It's Paula (PJ) from my old blog "Infertility on the Brain"! Just popped by to see how you guys are doing! MY GOODNESS how your girls have grown! They are so beautiful! Mine are doing Kindergarten registration here in a few weeks. HOW TIME FLIES! So glad to see that ya'll are doing well! :)

Maydelin said...

That's sound fun, at least for the girls haha!! I hope that I would it had a YES day when I was a Kid, I would do it with my kids for sure.

Anonymous said...

Now you have to order the book, Yes Day by Amy Rosenthal. My students at school LOVE this book and you just lived it. I think the girls would really enjoy it! Here's a link to info. http://www.amazon.com/Yes-Day-Amy-Krouse-Rosenthal/dp/0061152595