Sunday, November 8, 2009

Sleep...what's that??



I've been a bad blogger the past few days. Why you ask?

I'm sleepy. :)

A and I are both doing well. She is the sweetest thing. She smiles a lot in her sleep. I of course, believe that she hears exactly what we're saying and is responding with a smile. Others say it's gas. She loves to have her hands by her face. I call her the little Houdini. I will swaddle her up and within minutes, she has worked her hands out by her face.

I'm still trying to sleep while she sleeps. That has started being harder than I thought it would be. I often find myself staring at her when I should be sleeping. She's just so darn cute. I'm still healing from the c-section. Recovery has been easier than I thought it would be. I'm sure things will get a little easier, once I'm completely healed from that. For those of you who had a c-section...how long before you started driving? I'm pretty sure they told me not to drive for 6 weeks and I'm pretty sure THAT'S A VERY LONG TIME. Any of you drive before the 6 weeks were up?

I have the best husband in the world. Have I mentioned that before? I'm pumping a lot and always have a stock of milk in the fridge. He told me to go to bed on Friday night and sleep for as long as I want. He completely took care of A. I slept from 9:30pm - 9:30am. I had to get up and pump in the night, but other than that...sweet sleep. :) I had been going to bed and getting up with a headache. I think it was from the lack of sleep. I rarely get headaches. When I woke up on Saturday morning, it was gone! I knew that the lack of sleep would be hard for me. I have always been one to get sick if I don't get at least 8-9 hours a night. I'm adjusting, but I'm not going to lie...it has been hard.

I'm looking at the Christmas countdown on my sidebar and realize that I am SO PAST DUE on my next giveaway. A coming early threw things off a bit. :) I know what the next giveaway is...just have to go get it! And did I mention - I can't drive. (LOL)

My sister, Joy is doing so much better from her surgery (tonsillectomy). Thank you to those who were praying for her. I have missed her so much. We talk daily and see each other a lot. Not being able to see her or talk to her right after A arrived was so hard. She was able to come over and hold A for the first time last week. It was so neat to sit there watching my sister hold MY baby. At one point, we were both crying. Her babies were always like my own...still are. I have no doubt that A will hold a special place in her Aunt Joy's heart. :)


Well, I'm going to go get ready for church while A is sleeping. I hope you all have a wonderful week!

Love to all,

23 comments:

oliviasmommy07 said...

Glad to hear that you are healing from your c-section. I had one also and I too found that it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. As long as I moved and didn't get stiff!
A is just beautiful! I know you and Alex (and the rest of the family) are sooo proud of her. When Olivia was that age I would find myself doing the same thing~~staring at her instead of resting~I couldn't help it!!
OH and I KNOW that I didn't wait 6 weeks to drive because I went back to work after 5 weeks (Olivia went with me). I am thinking I only waited 3 weeks AT THE MOST~

Anonymous said...

why can't you drive?? 6 weeks does seem like a long time. I want to come see the baby soon
So glad Joy is better I bet she is too. -nat

Heather said...

I can SOOOO sympathize with you on the headache...glad you are doing better. And hang in there...the sleeping thing gets better, I promise! :) Love you girl!

Jenna said...

She is precious. What a blessing! I had a c-section, and my Dr. said I could drive in 2 weeks, but I was driving after a week, and did fine. Just listen to your body and don't overdo it! Congratulations!!!

Paige said...

ha! i have often wondered where the term "Sleeps like a baby" comes from. i drove about 2 weeks after both c-sections. i think you are fine as long as you don't have any pain in pushing on the petals, however i think the 6 week rule is popular with most insurances. if you have a wreck, you probably won't be covered!! (oh, and we had the same problem with the swaddle, so we got the kiddopotumos/swaddle me blankets from babies r us and problem solved! they have velcro!!)

Amber said...

So glad you and A are doing well. Not sure about the driving after a C, but I know my sister went back to work after 5 weeks (yes, I think she is crazy, too!) so she was definitely driving then. Hope it heals quickly!

Jen said...

I'm pretty sure I only had to wait 2 weeks before I started driving again, but I can't remember....

Glad you got to sleep Friday night :)

Faith said...

I love that little face she is making with Joy...such sweet little lips! I'm sure you could just stare at her precious face all day long, but I hope you take every chance you can to get some rest! So glad Alex gave you that blessing the other night - I know you needed it and I'm so glad it helped you feel so much better. Praying this week is a good one!

Shannon said...

Honestly I think about the lack of sleep ALL the time. :) I love sleep and go to bed by 9 almost every night. :) I'm trying to treasure it now. Ha!

Mazzy said...

I think I only waited 3-4 weeks to drive. I remember being shocked at how easy recovery was, my OB said I recovered even faster than most women that deliver vaginally.
SLEEP and enjoy it.
*hugs*

bb said...

She is sooo beautiful!!

Sleeping is hard when there is so much that you want to do!! I hated when people told me that this will pass and she will start sleeping longer, but it's true. And believe it or not, the long nights are among my favorite memories of my sweet little ARB and our first few weeks together. I know you will treasure these moments as well.

I hope you feel good and heal well. For what it's worth, I was told not to drive for 2 weeks and really only because of the pain meds, which I stopped taking after about 2 or 3 days.

becca said...

wish I could get a pacifier to stay in Levi's mouth. He'll take it, but if I'm not holding it in there, he spits it right out. Wish I pumped more too... but I just hate it. I'd rather feed a baby all night long than get up and pump. I have a total of I think 6 ounces in the freezer. I'm going to have to get better about that when I go back to work, though I still have 11 weeks off!

Eric and Emily said...

I was told 2 weeks of no driving. I don't think I could have driven for 3 weeks though. It took me 2 weeks before I could stand up straight.

I was totally a girl who not only needed 8 hours of sleep, but I also didn't function before 7 at all. And it couldn't be broken up sleep. So imagine my surprise when ALL of that was interrupted, shocking! Luckily babies do eventually sleep through the night!

Mandy said...

After having a C-section the only reason I couldn't drive was because I was on pain meds. Once I was off of them, I was given the clearance to drive. For me, that was after 2 weeks. The 6 week time frame I was put on had to do with lifting anything over 10 lbs, although the dr. upped it to 15 lbs after he saw me at 2 weeks and thought I was healing well. Hope that helps.

I told you the lack of sleep was hard, but I'm glad you're getting as much help as possible. It's nice of Alex to help you out. I know that it makes a HUGE difference!!!

Glad things are going well.

Heather & Scott said...

Little Houdini is hot under those 15 blankets that is why she is getting out of them. LOL JUST KIDDING... Hailey has always done the same thing. She still does it now. And, by the way, baby A is so beautiful. I can't wait to come see her. Love you!

Alice said...

I think I was driving two weeks after my c-section. I was off the meds 2-3 days after I arrived home so my doc said it was fine to drive.

The lack of sleep has by far been the worst thing of being a mommy for me (if there is a bad thing). It started getting better for us after 3 months (the feedings get further apart). I too was a person that REQUIRED a ton of sleep but my body did adjust to the interupted and lack of sleep. It is hard work but as you are already seeing.....SO WORTH IT!!!! Hang in there....I know you are enjoying your sweet girl so much.

Kristen said...

My dr. told me 2 weeks and I could drive and I have only heard of doctors saying two...really 6? That is crazy! She is precious and I am so glad you are doing well and have a sweet husband to help you. What a sweet time in your life! :) I just love how cute and little she is. Hope you sleep while she sleeps. :)

Courtney said...

She is beautiful. And it really does look like she's bigger too! What fun (and how tiring!)

kristin fulghum said...

so glad you guys are doing well. congrats on the precious baby girl. she is so adorable!

Joy@WDDCH said...

I'm right there with you sweetie! And I find it hard to nap/sleep when baby does, too, because I just want to stare at her!

Hester 5 said...

She is so so cute! I work at a hospital on L&D and you can't drive for 2 weeks after a c-section...not 6 weeks!

Elaine said...

Isn't this the best kind of exhaustion on Earth? :)

Hugz!

Paula Keller said...

I've been told to get lots of sleep now while I can, so I'm taking that advice. :)

I hear it gets better with time though...

Hugs