Saturday, January 15, 2011

Up early on a Saturday...

I have been up since 6am. On a Saturday! Saturday is usually the day that Alex gets up with Amelia and I get to "sleep in." I put that in quotations because the older I get, the harder it has become to sleep late. I'm doing good if I can sleep until 10am anymore. When I was younger, I could sleep until noon - easy! :) It's not as if Amelia doesn't sleep late anyway...she sleeps until 9am every morning. I guess it's just nice having one day that I know I can sleep really late - if my body needs it/allows it.

My wonderful in-laws came over yesterday morning. They watched Amelia so I could go to the doctor. I had a sinus infection and needed some relief. He gave me a steroid shot which always has me feeling better within about 6 hours. That shot could be the reason I'm up this early on a Saturday though. :) When I arrived home yesterday, my M-I-L had made chicken-n-dumplings, mac-n-cheese, and green beans cooked up w/bacon. The house smelled so good. My first thought was "I don't have to cook tonight!!" I have been doing really well with cooking every night. I made a meal plan and went to the store and have made myself stick with it. I've enjoyed it and love the thought that I've saved our family A LOT of money, just from eating at home vs. eating out. And the meals have been yummy!

Anyway, back to my wonderful M-I-L. After they left, I put Amelia down for her nap and went to rest in my bed. I found these chocolates on my pillow from my M-I-L. How sweet is that? They're delicious too.



She and my F-I-L really blessed me yesterday. She actually thanked me for letting them come and help. That touched my heart and God immediately said, "see...it's okay to ask for help, Jill." I don't ask for help often. I feel like I should be able to handle one child. After all, my Mom and M-I-L had 6. All within 2 years apart! Alex reminds me a lot that having a child in your mid-30's vs. 20's makes a huge difference. I wish I had been ready to have kids when I was younger...I did have so much more energy back then! I have always required a lot of sleep, but I could run and do all day long and be just fine. I used to babysit my nephews all of the time and would run errands with them like it was nothing! I want to have that same energy with my own child(ren). By no means do I think 34 (35 is fast approaching) is old, but it's not 24. I'm going to do better about asking for help when I need it. I'm not Wonder Woman and that's okay.

I gave Amelia a special treat yesterday. She hasn't had real juice in a long time. I give her water and that's what she calls juice. I decided to fill her cup with half juice/half water and let me tell ya...the girl carried that cup around until it was GONE! She loved it. I know it's silly, but I love to see her enjoy simple things like that.



Speaking of simple things. Alex went out to the garage last night and made Amelia a "house" to play in. She loved it. I almost bought her a little tent for Christmas, but I had already finished shopping for her so I didn't buy it. She loves hiding and getting under blankets and such. Who knew that a cardboard box could bring such enjoyment?? We ask where her house is and she goes to her cardboard box.



I wanted to post this video of Amelia. We've been working on different family members names. There are times when she will repeat whatever we say - and then times where she just stares at us like, "I don't know what you're talking about." I videoed her saying a few names and wanted to share with the Grandparents & family!



Happy Saturday!!

Love to all,

5 comments:

Elaina Weaver said...

Aunt E is seriously ready to hang out with her again!! You and Alex need a date night. :)

Christi said...

How sweet! I hope you're feeling better.

I was 24 when we had our first and should have asked for more help. I think you have a lot of family nearby so don't be afraid to ask for help. We don't have family that close, and I worked so much that I didn't know people well enough to ask for help with our first until he was older. I am still awful (almost 11 years later) at asking for help...but I'm working on it. It's good for us.

I'm rambling. But I did want to share that when Amelia is a little bit older that there are these cardboard houses that Amelia could play in and color at the same time. They are around $20. A friend had one when our kids were younger, and it was the most popular toy.

Christi

Linda Lou Rogers Averitt said...

we loved out time with Amelia and helping you to feel better, it was a blessing!!! I love, love, love the viedo, you think its cause she said my name so much:)))) hugs and I am always a phone call away to help you!!

Mandy said...

She's quite the talker! Josiah won't say words on command, even though I think he recognizes most of our immediate family members and friends. He only talks when he wants to. Amelia is too cute, though!

Oh, and about asking for help, I think that it's important to remember that you don't have to do it all and that it's okay to take some time for yourself. I think it'll make you a better mother. And, in all honesty, most people would probably be overjoyed to have the opportunity to watch Amelia. I used to enjoy it a lot before I had kids, and I think that most people would like it but may not go out of their way to ask to do it for you if you don't ask first.

Lauren said...

She is precious!!!!!!!!!!!!!