Friday, March 18, 2011

Master Bedroom Redo - In Progress

One of the good things about us being on a budget now is that we've set aside funds each month for me to finish decorating the rooms in our home that are incomplete. Which is pretty much every room. I like doing it slowly because it has caused me to really shop around, make a list of my wants, and then wait until we've saved enough for me to make the purchase. It also makes me think long and hard before making the purchase. I've even found things on sale because I've had to wait. There are pieces in my home that I love and will keep forever but for instance, I have zero curtains in any of the rooms. I have a problem with making a decision on things like that. It seems so permanent and curtains aren't cheap. I love to change things up on a regular basis (like with every season) so I don't want to spend a whole lot on things like that, but I want it to look nice.

God put something in us as women (most of us anyway) to want to decorate our "nest." I'm blessed to have a husband that will leave the decorating to me. He could care less what I do and wants our home to feel like me. I try to imagine what our home would feel like if Alex did the decorating and heaven help us - it would be all leather furniture, blank walls, and more than likely nothing would coordinate because he's color blind - bless his heart. He is the first to say, "I don't want anything to do with the decorating." When Alex and I were separated, one of the things he said when we got back together was that our home felt like me again. He missed that. He missed the personal touches that only I could give our home. If you're a husband and you don't understand your wife's need to decorate your home, move furniture, change paint colors, etc...just stop trying to understand it and realize that God made us this way! (LOL)

My "style" has changed drastically since I was a young, 19 year old newlywed. It has even changed a lot since we bought this home several years ago. I love color yet I love clean...lots of white. I've been working towards using more neutrals in our master bedroom for a while now. We have a sitting room on one side of our bedroom and our master bath on the other. I'm going to incorporate the neutral colors into the sitting room and then white and this color of blue in the bathroom.



So this is what I've done so far. The picture above the bed will be framed in a new/lighter frame soon and will go on another wall in the bedroom. I'm currently looking for something else to go above the bed. Any suggestions are welcome!



This is my side of the bed. I've started keeping fresh flowers in our room...it's lovely to wake up to these every morning. Last week I had pink tulips!



This is Alex's side of the bed. I'm going to re-frame these pictures as well. I don't like the dark frames. Maybe something silver...we'll have to see what Michael's or Hobby Lobby has on sale.



I found a lot at Target. I love some of the new designers they've started carrying and I don't feel like I've paid an arm and a leg if I want to switch it out later. I already had the polka dotted duvet and have a couple of others that I may try at the end of the bed. Alex says he likes the polka dots! :) Next purchase will be curtains. Just hope I can make a decision.



It's a work in progress. I'll post more pics as I add things.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend. It's another weekend of beautiful weather here!!

Love to all,

13 comments:

becca said...

I am the exact same when it comes to changing things often and curtains. I still don't like my curtains (any of them) b/c I couldnt' decide what i wanted, so I just bought whatever was cheap. I think I want plantation blinds and no curtains! Honestly, if I could get by with NO curtains and just clean windows, I think that's what I'd like!
As for flowers, when mine come up and bloom you take all you want. I always have more than I can manage. But I love to cut them and bring them in, so I still plant them abundantly.

Unknown said...

Love it!! I love finding things on sale or with potential... then re-doing or repurposing. My mom, sister, and I love going 'JUNKIN' at garage sales, antique shows etc. SO FUN. My hubby is color blind too! He leaves it all up to me (yay!). When we painted R and R's walls pale pink, we kept saying... it just looks white to me. :) You need to live near me, Jill. We'd be friends. :)

Faith said...

I love it all! I have found that my style has changed over the years too. I don't have the time or budget to re-do a lot right now but I love getting ideas.

I'm going to be working on moss covered letters (for the wedding) tonight and something like that, or another monogram of some sort, might look great above the bed.

You are doing a great job!

Lauren said...

Oh please oh please come do our room I need your vision. We have nails in the walls with no pictures on them. Yours looks amazing and it is not even done so I can't imagine what it will look like when your complete! Great designing!

Shannon said...

Oh, I LOVE what you have done!! You know I'm a plate girl so what about three white plates over the bed. Some people either love plates on the wall or hate them. So if you hate them, I won't take offense! There doesn't seem to be any in between in that area. LOL

You need to take a trip to IKEA. They have the MOST resonable prices for curtains. Oh my goodness I could have taken one of everything. The curtains in my living room were 20.00 for the pair. They had the prettiest linen curtains (the same color as your Mr. and Mrs. pillows) for 50.00 a pair. I LOVED them! Anyway, I love those pillows!

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

bb said...

I love your lamps and shades!! Who knew Target had such things? Good job, Mama.

Ashley said...

That looks great, Jill! I LOVE neutral colors. And I love the fresh flowers, too. I've always wanted to have some in my bedroom!

Lauren said...

Your room is beautiful, Jill!!!!! :)

Paula Keller said...

Ohmygosh, that's a lovely bed! I LOVE Target. I also hate buying curtains. I tend to go super neutral on them so that I can change other things in the room.

Jenna said...

It looks so great!! I love your style!

Mazzy said...

I love it! I really agonize over those decisions, too. Thankfully, this house had most of the window treatments done already and I LOVED her style, so that helped eliminate SOME stress. I got so much of my master stuff at Target and Hobby Lobby. I am a PB junkie, though. If my husband didn't watch finances as well as he did, we could be in trouble!

Have FUN decorating!

Anna said...

Love your style!!! Can you come redo my master bedroom? Ha!! Ours is a mess. Definitely not a retreat or romantic at all. :(

Anonymous said...

LOVE!!! I would love to redo our bedroom too...it's just too "basic". Nothing exciting. We are going to be moving in a year, so I guess I'll wait until then!!