Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A restaurant all to ourselves...

I think I'm going to just reserve a room at the after hours clinic. Around 5pm yesterday - we were about to head out to grab a few things at the market and pick up a couple of prescriptions at the pharmacy. I went to change Amelia's shirt and noticed hives on her belly and around her diaper area. Within a few minutes they had spread all over her torso, her neck, her back and she was scratching her entire body. I've actually never seen her scratch before this and it's sad to watch. She would rub her neck and chest and then just shake. I could tell it was itching very badly. I immediately gave her benadryl and then put her in the car to go to the after hours clinic.



We waited for an hour just to be called back. Amelia was STARVING. She accidentally spilled all of her snacks on the floor in the waiting area, so I had nothing to give her. Once we were called into the registration area - they checked her pulsox level and it was 86. I had no clue that was low but the nurse was concerned. She immediately took us back to a room for Amelia to see a doctor. She didn't seem to be struggling with breathing. He listened to her and she sounded fine. Not sure what the low pulsox was all about.

She immediately wanted to be held when the doctor came in. He got out his stethoscope and she placed her hand on it to hold it while he listened. Then he got out the device to look in her ears. I held her head and she sat perfectly still until he was finished. Then he brought out the light and tongue depressor to look in her throat. She took her paci out and immediately opened her mouth for him to look. HAHAHA! He said, "she's smart." I told him that she's been to the doc quite a bit over the last few months and they all do the same thing - she must have committed it to memory!



We were there for over three hours. It was late by the time we finished and Amelia was starving. When I went through the pharmacy drive-thru, she spit out her paci and said "fry-fry." So what does this Mama do at 9:30pm when her baby wants french fries? We went out to eat. We sat in Mimi's Cafe and had the entire restaurant to ourselves. She had some french fries and chicken and I had a cup of corn chowder. I know some people might think I'm insane for not just going through Mc Donald's and taking her home - but it won't hurt a girl to stay up past her bedtime just one night. She had been through so much - she deserved better than Mc D's. I actually enjoyed sitting there in that empty restaurant - just the two of us. They played elevator music the entire time and Amelia was swaying and singing. She had me laughing so hard. Precious memories. :)

By the time we got home - her hives were almost gone. I gave her a bath and she went right to sleep. They think she's either allergic to the antibiotic she's on for strep or allergic to nuts. She had peanut butter around 3pm yesterday and it's only the second time I've ever given it to her. We'll have blood drawn this week to see if she has nut allergies. I'm really hoping that's not it...that it's just the antibiotic.

Never a dull moment with this child.

Love to all,

10 comments:

Linda Lou Rogers Averitt said...

glad she is better it called fro MIMI'S, i toook my self there SUnday for a bowl of french onion soup!

Linda Lou Rogers Averitt said...

glad she is better it called for MIMI'S, i toook my self there SUnday for a bowl of french onion soup!

Shannon said...

Precious baby!! That was funny she knew how to open her mouth for the Dr. 9:30 at Mimi's is something you will always remember! Love it!

Ashley said...

Ooooh, bless her little heart! But that sounds like a nice end to the day. I love that quiet one-on-one time. So sweet!

Beth said...

Hi there,
Enjoying your blog.
Over from Lissa's.

Cute, cute pictures!

Beth

Cheryl said...

Jill, I am so sorry Amelia had an allergic reaction to something. I know you probably feel that every time you turn around, you or her are sick. Hang in there. I think it's just been a tough month for sicknesses. We have all had it for weeks and I have made it my mission to say well for the rest of the school year!!! Glad to hear you taking care of yourself. It's a tough thing to do as a momma!

twondra said...

So glad she's feeling better!! How scary.

Faith said...

Such sweet memories with a sweet girl. Hoping they figure out the allergy soon. Praying for y'all!

Heather said...

I am so sorry you guys have had such a rough streak of sickness!!! Bless her sweet itchy heart!!! Praying she feels better today!

Katie said...

Poor thing! Hope she is on the mend VERY soon. She is precious!